Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour
I love cooking Gumbo for several reasons. Reason number one, it is my eighteen year old daughter’s favorite, or one of her favorites. Secondly the family loves it,but finally for me it is one of those dishes you can make in large batches and freeze for another date.
I have tried a few different versions of gumbo recipes, but this one I came up with on my own eliminating celery and okra as that is the two things all of my children agrees on when it comes to Gumbo. It started with that large chicken I baked on Monday for dinner and I know my children were not going to eat it again,because one thing they do not like and that is left over chicken especially bake chicken. So I knew I needed something to do with the leftovers because there is no way I was going to let it go to waste.
- 1 1/2 cup of cooked chicken shred(you can also buy the Rotisserie chicken in the grocery store and use that.
- 1 andouille sausage sliced in desired thickness
- 1 cup chopped ham( I used smoked ham, that is sliced)
- 1 1/2 lbs of uncooked shrimp( peeled and deveined)
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 roma tomatoes diced
- 1/2 of a yellow, red, and orange bell peppers ( diced). If you have green that is fine, It just so happened I had none.
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp. paprika( i used smoked)
- 1 tsp old bay seasoning
- 1 tsp Sazon all-purpose seasoning
- 2 tsp creole seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp garlic powder ( i used roasted garlic powder)
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 6 cups seafood broth
- 1 tbsp soy sauce ( low sodium)
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 stick of butter
- 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp olive oil.
In a small sauce pan melt butter,add flour and stir continuously to make a rue. Keep stirring until you have a light brown color about 8 minutes
In a small bowl inc operate all the dry ingredients and mix well. In a heavy pot on medium heat add olive oil, brown sausages on each side. set aside on a plate, add chopped ham,and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring continuously, add minced garlic and chopped onions , stir non stop for about 3 minutes,till onions are soft, add bell peppers and tomatoes and stir for about 3 minutes. add the brown sausage back in as well the crushed tomatoes, chopped carrots and the shredded cooked chicken, add the thyme in , add the dry seasonings and stir for about 2 minutes, add the seafood broth,soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce and rue and stir until the rue is basically melted in the pot and cover bring to a simmer about 15 minutes add the shrimp, stir them in and turn off the heat.
Serve with white rice