I love creating in the kitchen and being a Jamaican and a lover of the herbs and spices we cook with. Although each recipe has its unique ingredients. I love adding a mixture of herbs and spices from other dishes and I guess you could say combine recipes.Which is what I did with this brown stew chicken recipe, I added a few herbs and spices from jerk chicken recipe that is not usually added to the brown stew chicken and it was absolutely delicious and a big hit .
prep time 40 minutes
Cook time 1 hr 30 minutes
- 1( 4lb) whole chicken cut up
- 2 tsp dry thyme
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme (chopped up)
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp black pepper
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp Sazon all-purpose seasoning ( you can use seasoning salt)
- 1 tbsp allspice
- 1 tbsp garlic powder ( I used roasted garlic)
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce (low sodium)
- 1/2 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp hot sauce ( I used scotch bonnet) or you can chop 1 fresh hot pepper finely, with or without seeds depends on you and your family ability for spice
- 1/3 cup coconut oil for browning chicken
In a bowl mixed all ingredients together real well, not including coconut oil and combine making like a paste.
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1/2 of whatever bell pepper you have cut into slices
- 2 roma tomates cut up
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 cup water or chicken broth.
- 2 additional sprigs of fresh thyme
Wash your cut up chicken in water and white vinegar or lemon juice. Season with paste, cover and sit in the fridge at least 2 hours, overnight if possible.
using a skillet , heat oil on medium heat, brown chicken pieces on each side,setting the done pieces aside on a large plated, or like I do add them back in the bowl I seasoned the chicken in . The bowl you had the seasoned chicken in will have some left over juice, please do not discard.
When you are finished browning chicken, switch pans, to a large sauce pan with a lid, a dutch oven pot, almost any kind of pot with a lid is fine. If the oil left over from browning chicken is not burned pour into the pot now, I used a skillet in case of this instead of using the same pot, which at times i do sometimes it work other times it does not. Now add the brown chicken pieces in the pot, as well as that juice I told you not to discard, pour ketchup over chicken as well as water or chicken broth along with remaining vegetables.
Cover and cook for 1 hour, stirring every 20 minutes.
Serve with rice and kidney beans, or white rice and your steam vegetable of choice. Can also be served with regular baked potatoes, or sweet baked potatoes, even mashed potatoes or sweet mashed potatoes.