Note: It is a Jamaican tradition to season your meat and marinate over night. So Jamaicans were doing meal prep before meal prep was a thing, lol. And since this was a Sunday dinner and I usually do my meal prep on Saturdays mostly, although this week I did not. This was seasoned on Saturday evening.
INGREDIENTS/ CHICKEN AND SEASONING FOR CHICKEN
- 4 lbs chicken ( I used legs and thighs)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp brown sugar (I used coconut palm sugar here)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp dry thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp seasoning salt, or all purpose seasoning
- 1 tsp onion powder
In a bowl add all of this ingredient and mix well to combine
I will always include in my directions to wash chicken, soak in a large bowl with water and 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar for about 5 minutes. Then drain and rinsed, remove excess fat from chicken, I left the skin on but you can choose to remove.
Season chicken with all of the dry rub, if you leave the skin on, be sure to get some rub under the skin especially on the thighs.
Now I transfer to a bowl with an airtight lid, so I can refrigerate overnight
Next day, when it is time to cook, preheat oven to 400 and transfer chicken to baking dish,
bake uncovered for 1 hour, In the meantime prepare the ingredients for Jerk Gravy. In the mean time in a bowl add all the ingredients for Jerk gravy minus the fresh vegetables, but include 1 tsp minced garlic and 1/2 tsp fresh ginger. Use a mixer or a fork and mix well, refrigerate while baking chicken.
INGREDIENTS/ JERK GRAVY
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp fresh minced ginger( divided 1/2 n 1/2)
- 2 tsp minced garlic ( divided 1/2 n 1/2)
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 cup green, yellow and red bell pepper diced
- 2 green onions washed and cut into3 pieces
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar,( you can use apple cider vinegar as well )
- 1/3 cup soy sauce( low sodium
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 brown sugar ( I use turbinado here it is sweeter than the coconut palm that I use to season the chicken. Please know it is just a preference you can use either on all through the recipe.
- 3 tbsp hot sauce( I use scotch bonnet of course. It is for sale on this site if you would like it and cannot find it.
- 1/4 cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp coconut oil ( a preference the aroma is so good )
- 2 tbsp butter
- Juice from bake chicken ( about 1 cup)
After 1 hour in the oven Remove chicken and pour off the juice from the chicken you should have about 1 cup. save this for later
Put back in the oven another 15 minutes. In the meantime. Heat coconut oil over medium heat, add butter, when butter melts, first add remaining minced garlic and diced onions, saute about 3 minutes, stirring continuously, then add remaining minced ginger, stir and combine well, then add minced bell peppers and green onions.
Add the other ingredients you mixed and have saved in the fridge
Continue to stir for about 2 minutes, then add the juice from chicken, stir and combine really well, cover and bring to a low boil.
Add chicken pieces in and cover and cook for 15 minutes.
This is, of course, served with rice with kidney beans, It would not be Sunday Dinner Jamaican style if it was not, although instead of the steam cabbage, I appease the children and did steamed broccoli instead.