COCONUT CURRY CHICKEN
- 1 whole roaster chicken ( cut up in small pieces) you can ask your butcher at the grocery store, meat market or where ever to do this for you. Or you can use boneless skinless chicken. For me the whole chicken is a preference because of the white and dark meat mix together I feel is so much better.
- 2 tbsp distilled white vinegar for washing chicken
- ¼ Tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powders
- 1 tsp adobo all purpose seasoning,
- 1 tsp Lawry’s seasoning salt
- ½ tsp all spice
- 3 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp scotch bonnet pepper( It is difficult for me to find the actual scotch bonnet pepper, so I buy the one in the bottle, so if you can find the actual pepper, you need one, and the choice is yours if you leave the seeds in or not.
- 2 tbsp minced garlic ( divided 1 n 1)
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme ( divided 2 n2)
- 1 large onion sliced ( divided it into 2 separate equal batches )
- 1 large roma tomato ( diced)
- ½ cup of diced yellow and green bell peppers ( diced)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil ( or anyone oil of choice. ) Coconut oil reminds me of my grandmother cooking. She always cooks with homemade coconut oil
- 3 medium size carrots ( peeled and chopped)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp butter ( I did not use this time because of the coconut oil, I only use butter if I am not using coconut oil, lol. Strange I know.
I chopped the chicken myself, and so I was able to save the back, I like to use that for chicken broth, so I will either make some chicken broth while cooking the curry chicken, or I will freeze it for when I have time, this time I made it while cooking the curry chicken and I got 16 cups of homemade chicken broth. How awesome is that.
In a large bowl add the chicken pieces, remove all the excess fat and skin. Cover in water and add the vinegar, let the chicken sit in the vinegar water at least 1 minute, but up to 5 minutes. Drain and rinse with just water. Season chicken with all the dry ingredients including 2 sprigs of the fresh thyme and 1 tbsp of the minced garlic, Wearing gloves use your hands and combined all the seasonings really well into each piece of the chicken. Cover and marinade in the fridge at least 2 hours.
On medium heat, heat oil, and if using butter add as well when the butter melts add the remaining 1 tbsp minced garlic and ½ of the sliced onions, sauté until you softened about 2-3 minutes, then add the seasoned chicken in the pot, stir really well combining the sauté minced garlic and onions to the chicken, cover and cook 20 minutes, not adding any liquid, but be sure to stir at least every 5 minutes, using a wooden spoon, The chicken should have cooked in its own juices and producing enough liquid for it to cook in. After 20 minutes, add the remaining sliced onions , bell peppers, remaining 2 sprigs of fresh thyme , diced tomatoes green onion, carrots and the coconut milk, cover and continue to cook slowly for another 20 minutes, being sure to stir continuously.
Note: You can also add 2 cups of diced potatoes if you like. If you do add it at the same time you do with the carrots and other vegetables and also add ½ cup of low sodium chicken broth
Note: This dish is great to add to your meal plan, once seasoned it can be frozen no problem, then thaw overnight for the day you are ready to cook , Of course there will be some liquid from the ice no problem, add it all at the beginning of the cooking, it just means more gravy and I do not believe anyone would complain about more gravy for their rice.
I serve this dish with brown or white rice.